A little Help

Show us your projects you made with libXenon
gomson

A little Help

Post by gomson » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 am

Hi guys,
I'm looking to purchase a serial port interface for sending debugging info from my jtag 360 to my pc. I was wonding if this would be okay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-serial-adapte ... 2a0f21d3b8

Please any info would be appreciated..

Thanks

tuxuser
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A little Help

Post by tuxuser » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:20 am

According to the datasheet it supports 3,3V on TTL so it *should* be fine
http://www.stkaiser.de/anleitung/files/PL2303.pdf
I have no idea what I am doing but atleast I am trying

gomson

Post by gomson » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm

[quote=""tuxuser""]According to the datasheet it supports 3,3V on TTL so it *should* be fine
http://www.stkaiser.de/anleitung/files/PL2303.pdf[/quote]

Thanks for the reply....

I have a few more questions that just popped into my head...

1: Since the USB will be self powered, I shouldn't need to connect the two 3.3v cables to the xbox 360 motherboard but do I still need to connect the GND cable.
2: How exactly does the debugging code get sent back. I mean, if for example, I use one of the sample files from the Xbox SDK installation, I should be able to insert debugging code into the source code, compile it in visual studio, copy it over to the jtagged xbox 360, run the *.xex file and any debug info I've written should get sent back to the PC.....right..?
3: Also assuming that I buy the cable from the link in my earlier post, all I just need to do to get it working is: solder it to my jtag 360 and everything should be fine (plus also install drivers, Minicom or alternatives)... right..?

Just FYI, I'm not new to jtagging, I did everything myself but I am new to how to send debug info using a jtagged xbox, I've always been told only a dev kit can do it..

Please any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

tuxuser
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tuxuser » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:57 pm

[quote=""gomson""]
1: Since the USB will be self powered, I shouldn't need to connect the two 3.3v cables to the xbox 360 motherboard but do I still need to connect the GND cable.
[/quote]
- From electrical view you should, yes. However, I had the problem when I joined the GND connections to not get any output from the UART so I am just using RX/TX from the box.

[quote=""gomson""]
2: How exactly does the debugging code get sent back. I mean, if for example, I use one of the sample files from the Xbox SDK installation, I should be able to insert debugging code into the source code, compile it in visual studio, copy it over to the jtagged xbox 360, run the *.xex file and any debug info I've written should get sent back to the PC.....right..?
[/quote]
- I can only say for printfs, they display over serial, yes. But please note that LibXenon.org does NOT support SDK Stuff!!! We are all about LEGAL/FREE homebrew.

[quote=""gomson""]
3: Also assuming that I buy the cable from the link in my earlier post, all I just need to do to get it working is: solder it to my jtag 360 and everything should be fine (plus also install drivers, Minicom or alternatives)... right..?
[/quote]
- Right!
I have no idea what I am doing but atleast I am trying

gomson

Post by gomson » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks txmuxer..., and many apologies for the SDK stuff..point taken..

I'm planning to start using libXenon myself, there seems to a growing support for it and people willing to help you out..

Thanks again...
:D